December Special. Berlinerkranser.
by Cashmere Wrap & Macadamia Nuts
Baking Christmas cookies is one of my most cherished December traditions. Nothing makes the cozy, homely atmosphere better than home made cookies. They require some extra effort, surely, but Christmas time is first and foremost about giving and carrying, so be generous and offer your nearest and dearest something special.
Berlinerkranser – List of Ingredients:
– 1 hard boiled egg yolk
– 1 egg yolk
– 60 g. of sugar
– 125 g. of butter (in room temperature)
– 175 g. of all purpose flour
– 1 egg white
– chopped almonds
Berlinerkranser – Preparation:
1. Crush hard boiled egg yolk with a fork. Add sugar and mix well. Add butter and flour, continue to mix.
2. Work the dough well. When ready, wrap in a plastic foil and place in a fridge for 1 hour.
3. Separate small portions of the dough, form them so each one is a roll 5mm thick and 10 cm long.
Form cookies, by crossing both ends of a roll somewhere in the middle, so each cookie looks like a small bow.
4. Place cookies on a baking plate covered with a sheet of baking paper. Smear cookies with egg white and sprinkle some chopped almonds and/or sugar on top.
5. Place form in an oven preheated to 190 C degrees, bake cookies for approximately 10 minutes, until they are golden on top.
The best way to store cookies is to keep them in a metal tin. Be careful, as they are very crusty and easy to break.